Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Closing the night at the Chaos Acoustic Club/ 1956 Les Paul for sale: £20


Great to bump into local folk legends Billy and Lozz at the excellent Chaos Acoustic Club yesterday. They did a superb set, as always!


After my run of solo performances, it was also great fun to welcome Marie back on-stage to accompany me. She did a first-class job helping me finish off the night at the Chaos Club. Always such an appreciative crowd at the venue. My faith in the future of live music is always restored after a visit to Pete and Tony's aforementioned club.



Sadly we didn't see anyone demonstrating how the sponge-throw door on the back wall of the stage works though -lol! (PS I'll be hosting a whole night of live music down at the Chaos Club in November. I'll be inviting a few special guests to perform before finishing the night off with a set of my own music.

I'll announce the details a bit closer to the time. In the meantime for anyone wishing to support the club:

It runs every Sunday night at the Old Moseley Arms, 53 Tindal St  Birmingham, West Midlands, B12 9QU, (UK). Admission is free.



PS At the end of the night, whilst I was chatting with the sound engineer, he informed that his friend is now the proud owner of a vintage ('1956,' I think he said) Gibson Les Paul. Apparently it had lain in a loft for a decade and a half (where it was before that, I don't know), the current owner wasn't a guitarist, and was only too pleased to part with the instrument for the humble fee of £20. Yes, £20! It's the stuff of legend: an event seemingly too good to be true.

Indeed, during my days working in a guitar shop, such stories were 10-a-penny, and almost always turned out to be either 100% urban myths or vastly exaggerated stories (i.e. the supposedly vintage guitar someone had bought for a few pounds would turn out to be copy etc.). But, in this case, astonishingly, the tale appears to be true. So I guess miracles do happen after all  ... But certainly not very often, so don't get your hopes up. Still it wouldn't hurt to always have a carefully folded £20 note about your person at all times, just in case -lol!

If such an event has happened to anyone else, do please email and let me know!