Friday, September 19, 2014

Playing at the Black Country Living Museum's first ever Black Country Night!

Marie (my percussionist), and I, had fantastic time playing at the Black Country Museum's first ever Black Country Night.



It felt wonderful to be so actively involved in local history – my late father used to work in a factory right by Rolfe Street Baths, so it was incredible to touch base with my own past and childhood memories, now that the building has been relocated to the museum. It was great to watch all the historic vehicles going by as I played, too -lol!






Once we'd done our set on the main stage, it was great to catch up with all the local Black Country performers that I haven't seen for ages, who we joined for our second and third sets of the evening, playing around the museum's historic village.


[Marie and I, with Linda Simpson: Lisa's name cropped up next to mine in a few newspaper articles on local events, so it was great to finally bump into her for a chat!] 


 [It's great that the museum light up the chimneys to add to the authentic Black Country feel, bringing to mind the industry of yesteryear. This is us greeting the people with a little music, near the museum entrance.]

[While playing our second set, in the museum's authentic recreation of a typical Black Country street, one of my favourite local singer songwriters, Pete Kelly, came over to say hello. This street reminds me of the streets in Oldbury, when I was a young child in the 1970s, before all the Victorian housing was pulled down, to be replaced my, in my opinion, inferior buildings - that's progress for you -lol!].


[Just a little further along the road, the museum has an authentic Chapel, where two of the local music scenes busiest writer/performers – John Langford and David Coughlin – were playing. They entertained us while Marie and I took a break from performing to the crowds to eat our complimentary food from the museum's authentically styled chip shop!]


 [After I'd played my final set, outside the pub, to a wonderful crowd, I paused for a photo with two lovely ladies: singer Emma Langford (right) and Dee (left), John Langford's wife (no relation to Emma -lol It was such a big place that there were quite a few musician friends who I didn't run into that night, or saw only for a moment while I was on my way to play my next set, like Caroline and Phil of East West Infusion, who, sadly, we didn't have time to take any photos of!]



[The friendly fellow who was dressed as the town crier, told me he thought that around 600 people attended the event in total. If so, that's brilliant!]

Thanks to local legends of the acoustic and folk scene, Billy and Lozz, for asking me to be part of such a brilliant occasion.  The feedback from the museum is that it was a great success and the event will very likely happen again next year – as part of the Black Country Day celebrations.

Finally, thanks, Michael Timmins, for taking all the photos, helping move our equipment – and for queuing in the chip shop for us, for nearly an hour while Marie and I were busy playing!