Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Climbing The Tower of Song


Together with my percussionist Marie, I finally found time to make my first visit to the Tower Of Song on the 16th of July – which, for some odd reason, is a place where some people seem to think (albeit wrongly) they've already seen me perform at -lol!



Although winning over new audiences is something we thrive on, I didn't quite know what response to expect as the venue is a little outside of my usual gigging area. But I was genuinely surprised by the sheer scale of the positive response. Being told time and again that we were easily one of the finest acts to have ever graced the Tower Of Song's stage was a heart-warming experience. Thank you so much, everyone!

 I'm only sorry I can't go back to do a longer set there any time soon – as so many people were suggesting – as I'm tied up with other musical endeavours at the moment. But I will go back one of the Wednesdays, to the Rea River Roots Club at the Tower Of Song, when I have a little more time.

 As well as performing, Marie and I got to watch a host of other acts perform, including Sue Stevens (who runs the Lighthouse Folk Club); singer/songwriter (and the person who set up the Tower Of Song) Tom Martin and cellist Helena Rosewell, the country stylings of the Honky Tonk Boys (Terry Foley and Jimmy Cox); and Lobelia Lawson, who runs Lobelia's Lazy Sundays Songwriters Circle.

It was great to visit a venue centred wholly around live-music that is so well supported by enthusiastic music lovers and performers.

Tom Martin's Tower of Song venue is at 107 Pershore Rd S., Birmingham, B30 3JX. To find out what's happening on any given night just check the venue's website: http://www.towerofsong.co.uk/

PS Thanks to Mike for taking the pics!